NewsOne Nigeria had reported earlier that President Buhari appointed Gambari to replace late Abba Kyari who died of Coronavirus in April as his new Chief of Staff.
This reliable online news platform understands that Gambari was unveiled at the Federal Executive Council (FEC) by Boss Mustapha, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) on Wednesday, May 13.
The President’s new chief of staff is to replace Buhari’s former Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari who died of coronavirus disease in April.
Below are 10 things to know about Buhari’s new Chief of Staff, Ibrahim Gambari
- He was the first Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- He was former Nigeria’s Minister of External Affairs between 1984 and 1985.
- He was the President of the Executive Board of UNICEF in 1999.
- He is from Kwara State.
- On March 4, 2013, Ibrahim Gambari was named by the Kwara State Governor, AbdulFatah Ahmad, as the pioneer chancellor of the Kwara State University, KWASU, making him the ceremonial head of the university who presides over convocations to award degrees and diplomas and also supports the vision and mission of the university in all respects, including fundraising, social, economic and academic goals.
- He is currently the Founder/Chairman of the Savannah Centre.
- He was the former Head of the UN Mission in Angola and Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York.
- Gambari attended King’s College, Lagos. He subsequently attended the London School of Economics where he obtained his B.Sc. (Economics) degree(1968) with specialization in International Relations.
- He later obtained his M.A. (1970) and Ph. D. (1974) degrees Columbia University, New York, USA in Political Science /International Relations.
- He taught at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State.