Usman and Burns regularly trained together up until 2017, when Usman split from his Florida-based gym to move to Colorado and train with Trevor Wittman. After that split, he rose to become champion while Burns has elevated himself to contender status.
It’s a fascinating matchup that will test Usman as the champion in his third title defense.
Elsewhere on the card, Maycee Barber makes her return after her first loss and an ACL tear that sidelined her for over a year. She’ll meet Alexa Grasso in the co-main event.
It’s a fun lineup of fights that should generate a few highlights and provide some new contenders in multiple weight classes. Here’s a last-minute look at the cards, odds and predictions for some of the biggest fights.
Main Card (ESPN+ PPV at 10 p.m. ET)
- (c) Kamaru Usman (-278) vs. Gilbert Burns (+220) – for welterweight title
- Maycee Barber (+105) vs. Alexa Grasso (-127)
- Kelvin Gastelum (-225) vs. Ian Heinisch (+175)
- Brian Kelleher (+205) vs. Ricky Simon (-265)
- Julian Marquez (-177) vs. Maki Pitolo (+145)
Prelims (ESPN, ESPN+ at 8 p.m. ET)
- Anthony Hernandez (+300) vs. Rodolfo Vieira (-400)
- Dhiego Lima (+325) vs. Belal Muhammad (-455)
- Mallory Martin (-148) vs. Polyana Viana (+118)
- Andre Ewell (+120) vs. Chris Gutierrez (-157)
Early Prelims (ESPN+, 6:15 p.m. ET)
- Gabriel Green (-137) vs. Philip Rowe (+110)
- Miranda Maverick (-155) vs. Gillian Robertson (+127)