Popular Nigerian politician is dead.
Newsone reports that a fourth Republic lawmaker, Senator Biyi Durojaye is dead.
This online news platform understands that the popular Nigerian politician died in the early hours of Tuesday, August 24, in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial city, while receiving medical attention.
Before his death, Newsone Nigeria reports that the 88-year-old Durojaiye was once the Chairman, Board of Commissioners for Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).
11 things to know late popular Nigerian politician, Senator Biyi Durojaiye
1. Senator Biyi Durojaye was born in February 1933.
2. Durojaiye earned a BSc (Economics) London and an LLB, London.
3. He was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1979 and was a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
4. He worked for 35 years in the public sector, including 28 years as a Director of the Central Bank of Nigeria and the National Mint.
5. He worked with the International Monetary Fund, the Federal Reserve System in the U.S.A and the City University London between 1964 and 1982.
6. Durojayi was an elected member of 1988/89 Constituent Assembly.
7. In 1992, he contested for President on the platform of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), losing to M.K.O. Abiola.
8. In December 1996 Durojayi was arrested by the military regime of General Sani Abacha, and was imprisoned for 560 days.
9. Durojaiye was an elected Senator from 1999-2003
10. In December 2002, he recommended a life jail-term for anyone who perpetrated election fraud.
11. Late Durojaiye’s wife Florence Olufunso Adejoke died on 6 June 2009 at 72 in Ikeja, two months after she and her husband marked their 50th wedding anniversary.