Newsone has compiled top Naija News headlines from Nigerian newspapers today, this means the latest Naija news, top newspaper headlines, and happenings in Nigeria can be accessed on this page.
1. The Federal Government has commenced payment of the 8-month salary backlog to some lecturers who are members of Congress of University Academics (CONUA), the breakaway faction of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
2. The Tanzanian passenger plane that crashed on Sunday claimed 19 lives as of the time of filing this report while 24 survivors were rescued. This was confirmed by Precision Air in a statement issued shortly after the crash which had been blamed on bad weather.
3. The Ondo State Police Command on Sunday said it arrested a man, Ojo Joseph, for allegedly setting ablaze five of his stepchildren in the Fagun area of Ondo town, Ondo State. The 64-year-old suspect was said to have committed the act following a disagreement with his wife, who is the mother of the victims.
4. The Presidential Candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and his running mate, Senator Kashim Shettima have cited hectic campaign schedules and resolve not to give any television station preference, among others, as reasons for their absence at Sunday’s town hall meeting of presidential candidates in Abuja.
5. The Ijaw Monitoring Group, IMG, on Sunday, insisted that the image of the First Minister of Finance and founder of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh, should be on one of the new naira notes to be redesigned by the CBN.
6. President Muhammadu Buhari has restated his determination to leave legacies of free and fair elections and significant investments in infrastructure for posterity. This is even as he said that with Nigeria projected to be the third most populated nation in the world after India and China by 2050, the country deserves a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council.
7. There is growing anxiety in the University communities over the meeting of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) which is slated to hold today in Abuja to deliberate on the recent payment of half salary for October, to the University lecturers by the Federal Government. The NEC will, during the meeting, decide whether to go on another strike.
8. Presidential candidates of the Labour Party (LP), the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) and the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP), yesterday, wooed voters as they marshaled out their programmes at The Arise News Presidential Town Hall ahead of the February 2023 presidential election.
9. Gunmen suspected to be cultists have killed five people in Ahoada East Local Government Area of Rivers State. The incident occurred on Saturday night, when the gunmen invaded Abuja housing estate, in Ahoada main town, in search of rival cult members after an earlier attack. Two of the five people killed were identified as Chukwujeku Kingsley (36) and Chibuike ThankGod (25 years).
10. There are indications that the Peoples Democratic Party ( PDP) National Chairman, Iyorchia Ayu and the five aggrieved governors popularly known as the G-5 may clash in Makurdi, Benue State, as Governor Samuel Ortom launches the party’s 2023 campaign today. The governors are already in the State.