Newsone has compiled top Naija News headlines from Nigerian newspapers today, this means the latest Naija news, top newspaper headlines, and happenings in Nigeria can be accessed on this page.
Below are the Newspaper Headlines & Naija News today from Nigerian Newspapers.
1. Lecturers at the University of Maiduguri have said they will not submit examination results or release the final results of students until the federal government resolves the issue of pro-rata payment of salary and non-payment of their 8 months’ salaries. The Unimaid Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) branch Chairman, Dr Abubakar Mshelia Saidu, announced this at a press conference in Maiduguri on Tuesday.
2. Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar and his Labour Party (LP), candidate, Mr. Peter Obi, met with the leadership of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Abuja, yesterday, in continuation of interactive session with key stakeholders ahead of the 2023 general elections, especially to secure the commitment of the candidates to issues that concern Christian communities.
3. President, Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, Professor Emmanuel Osodeke yesterday said that Nigerian university students were paying high tuition fees. He said it would be counterproductive and ill advised for the government to introduce a new circle of fees in the system in the harsh economic realities of the times.
4. Suspected terrorists have abducted four persons consisting a man, woman and two children, in Kolo village, Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara State. It was gathered that following the victims’ abduction, the suspects demanded N10m ransom and rejected the old naira notes.
5. Three children have been burnt to death in a fire which gutted their house at the Kofar Kabuga area of Gwale LGA of Kano State. The fire, suspected to be from an electrical fault, started around 10pm on Monday.
6. President Muhammadu Buhari will unveil the redesigned Naira notes on Wednesday [today]. Godwin Emefiele, Governor of the Central Bank announced this during the Central Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee monthly meeting in Abuja yesterday.
7. A Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to immediately resume the continuous voters registration (CVR) until 90 days before the 2023 general elections. Justice Inyang Ekwo, in a judgment, also directed the INEC to ensure that eligible Nigerians are not deprived the opportunity to have the voter’s card for the forthcoming poll.
8. Manchester United, yesterday, confirmed that they have terminated Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract “with immediate effect”. This was revealed in a terse statement posted on their social media handles.
9. The presidential candidate of Action Alliance (AA) and former Chief Security Officer to late military Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha, Maj Hamzat Al-Mustapha, has alleged that there is a grand plot by western nations to prolong the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria. Al-Mustapha said this on Tuesday in Abuja at a roundtable about the 2023 general election.
10. Atiku Abubakar, the Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and his running mate, Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State, on Tuesday pulled out of a town hall meeting organised for those vying for the position of president of Nigeria come 2023. This was disclosed in a tweet by Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) news.