Top Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today, 24th March 2023 can be accessed below.
Below are the Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today & Naija News today from Nigerian Newspapers. Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Central Bank of Nigeria on Thursday began the disbursement of old naira notes to Deposit Money Banks as government authorities stepped up efforts to end the biting currency scarcity that has inflicted pain on millions of bank customers nationwide.
2. Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State yesterday accused the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, National Chairman, Iyorchia Ayu of anti-party activities. Ortom, who was reacting to his referral to the National Disciplinary Committee by the PDP, said Ayu should appear before a committee because he worked for the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Benue State.
3. Abia State governor-elect, Alex Otti, has claimed he won election even before the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, joined the party. Otti said this in an interview on Channels TV’s Politics Today.
4. The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has warned that those behind attacks on the Igbo in Lagos will soon regret their action. IPOB gave the warning on Thursday in a statement issued by its media and publicity secretary, Emma Powerful.
5. In spite of a lingering court case, the Federal Government has insisted the National Carrier, Nigeria Air, will take to the sky before May 29, 2023. Minister of Aviation, Sen. Hadi Sirika, gave the assurances during the National Aviation Stakeholders’ Forum 2023, on Thursday.
6. President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has urged Muslims in the country to display humility, forgiveness and service to others which are the examples displayed by Prophet Muhammad (SAW). Tinubu said this in a congratulatory message to Muslims as the Ramadan fasting period commenced on Thursday.
7. The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, on Thursday announced the suspension of former governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose; former president of the Senate, Pius Anyim; Prof Dennis Ityavyar and Aslam Aliyu. In a statement, the PDP also referred the governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom, to the National Disciplinary Committee over his reported involvement in anti-party activities.
8. Former Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, is at risk of being sentenced to 10 years imprisonment in line with the Modern Slavery Act 2015 of the United Kingdom after a London court found him and his wife, Beatrice, guilty of organ trafficking.
9. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Thursday, arrested 28 persons, including a cleric suspected to be “Yahoo-Yahoo boys” in Ilorin, the Kwara State Capital. The arrest, which was effected at Mandate Area, Ilorin, by operatives of the EFCC Ilorin Zonal Command, followed intelligence on the activities of fraudsters operating in the area.
10. The Ebonyi State leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, on Thursday said it has rejected the outcome of the March 18, 2023, governorship election, wherein the candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Francis Nwifuru was declared winner by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC. The party insisted that it was PDP’s candidate Odii that scored the highest votes [and] won the March 18 governorship election.