Connect with us

Headlines

Lagos Bans Religious Gathering Over Coronavirus In Nigeria

Published

on

BREAKING: Lagos Bans Religious Gathering Over Coronavirus In Nigeria

Coronavirus in Nigeria has forced the Lagos State Government led by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to ban any religious gathering that involves more than 50 people.

NewsOne Nigeria reports that the decision of the Lagos State Government was taken after a consultative meeting between the state government and religious groups.

This is coming after the Lagos State Commissioner for Information, Gbenga Omotosho, had earlier said at a briefing on Wednesday that he was certain that religious leaders would be advised to stop Friday and Sunday Services.

“We are all aware that the Federal Government asked the National Youth Service Corps to shut down orientation camps; yesterday (Tuesday) the Commissioner for Home Affairs said there will be a meeting with religious leaders today (Wednesday).

“It is going to be suggested to them to maybe stop Friday and Sunday services – wherever we have large gatherings.

“Going by the new development, I am sure they will be advised to shut down the services in the interest of the public and all of us. I am sure they are going to comply,” he said.

Earlier today, the Federal Ministry of Health confirmed five new cases of coronavirus in Nigeria, bringing the total number of cases in the country to eight.

Nigeria’s Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, during a press conference in Abuja, the nation’s capital, on the update of the disease in the country, said all the new five cases had a travel history to the from the United Kingdom, UK and the United States of America, USA.

“We urge Nigerians to remain calm as public health response activities are intensified across the country,” the Minister of Health said.

Updating Nigerians on the development, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) tweeted: “@Fmohnigeria has announced 5 new cases of #COVID19 in Nigeria bringing the total number confirmed cases in Nigeria to 8. All 5 cases had a travel history to the UK/USA.

“We urge Nigerians to remain calm as public health response activities are intensified across the country.

Facebook Comments

Adblocker detected! Please consider reading this notice.

We've detected that you are using AdBlock Plus or some other adblocking software which is preventing the page from fully loading.

We don't have any banner, Flash, animation, obnoxious sound, or popup ad. We do not implement these annoying types of ads!

We need money to operate the site, and almost all of it comes from our online advertising.

Please add newsoneng.com to your ad blocking whitelist or disable your adblocking software.

×