Newsone Nigeria
  • Home
  • Africa
  • Newsone Nigeria Partners
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Politics
  • World News
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Africa
  • Newsone Nigeria Partners
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Politics
  • World News
No Result
View All Result
Newsone Nigeria
No Result
View All Result








Home News

UniPort Student Damian Okoligwe Sentenced to Death for Killing Girlfriend

Newsone Nigeria by Newsone Nigeria
11 hours ago
in News
BREAKING: UniPort Student Damian Okoligwe Sentenced to Death for Killing Girlfriend

L-R: Damian Okoligwe and his late girlfriend, Justina Otuene.

UniPort student Damian Okoligwe has been sentenced to death for killing his girlfriend.

Newsone Nigeria reports that a Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has convicted and sentenced a 400-level Petrochemical Engineering student of the University of Port Harcourt, Damian Okoligwe, to death by hanging for the murder of his girlfriend, Justina Otuene, a 300-level Biochemistry student at the same institution.

Okoligwe, now 26, was found guilty of killing Justina in October 2023 at his residence.

Justice Chiwen Nsirim Nwosu, who delivered judgment on Friday, November 28, 2025, held that the prosecution, led by Charles Obediah-Mbaba, proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt and established that Okoligwe committed the crime. The court further ruled that Justina’s death resulted directly from his actions.

This online news platform recalls that the UNIPORT student was arrested in 2023 after neighbours raised the alarm over his attempt to dispose of Justina’s body, which he allegedly killed for money ritual purposes. A neighbour had earlier reported a foul odour emanating from his room to the Ozuoba Police Division. Responding officers forced the door open and discovered a Ghana-must-go bag containing Justina Otuene’s dismembered body.

The murder trial commenced in May 2024, two months after the Rivers State Government took over the case. It had initially been before a Magistrate Court in Port Harcourt, but in November 2023, Chief Magistrate Nnenda Obiageri Onugbum ordered that the case file be transferred to the Department of Public Prosecution, DPP, for legal advice.

During an interview with journalists in 2023 at the Rivers State Police Command Headquarters in Port Harcourt, Okoligwe denied the allegations. He claimed he had been ill when Justina visited and said he found her lifeless when he woke up. Okoligwe further alleged that he went to his brother’s house for treatment and returned three days later to dispose of her body. He also denied removing any organs, insisting her remains were intact.

Speaking after the judgment, prosecuting counsel Obediah Charles Mbaba praised the court for ensuring justice, saying, “Justice has not only been done, but seen and felt to be done, in respect to the gruesome murder of Justina Otuene.

“Justina was the only daughter of her parents, but was gruesomely murdered by Damian Okoligwe in circumstances suggestive of ritual intention. Today, the court has pronounced him guilty of the murder of Justina Otuene.

“We only hope and believe that with this judgment, the souls of Justina can now have a peaceful repose.”

He added, “I also believe that this judgment will serve as a deterrent to youths who believe that shortcut in life is the only means to get rich as quickly as possible.

“This judgment will be a pointer and a lesson to the youths to work hard and abide by the laws of the land.”

Osat-Awaji Otuene, elder brother of the late Justina, said the judgment was well-deserved and brings some comfort to the family.

“I feel good, I feel calm about the whole situation. It was a very detailed judgment, very well structured. I really want to commend the judge, Justice Nsirim.

“Everything was well coordinated in court today. So, I’m really glad that we had the correct and the right judgment for the case.”

He added, “It’s a relief, and it’s certain that my sister didn’t just die for nothing. So, the judgment has been given, and the judgment was deserved. Of course, it is a relief to the family.”

Meanwhile, Newsone reports that the defence lawyer declined to comment.

Facebook Comments
Previous Post

Ooni of Ife Prays for Akmodel Group As Akmodel Homes Marks 5th Anniversary

Next Post

Week 22 Pool Result 2025 for Saturday, 29 November 2025

Newsone Nigeria

Newsone Nigeria

Newsone Nigeria is a digital news media in Nigeria. We deliver news just the way you love it. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.

Next Post
Week 22 Pool Result 2025 for Saturday, 29 November 2025

Week 22 Pool Result 2025 for Saturday, 29 November 2025

About Us

Newsone Nigeria (newsoneng.com) is a modern media house with a different view of news gathering and delivery. We are aware of the fake news trend in online media and have taken up the challenge to correct this ugly trend.

Relevant Pages

  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Reach Us

11 Fashe street, Olowoira, Ojodu-Berger, Lagos Nigeria.


Tel: +234 7054546495


admin@newsoneng.com

Alert Us

Important Press Releases, Breaking Stories, Special Investigations: admin@newsoneng.com.

© NewsOne Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Africa
  • Newsone Nigeria Partners
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Politics
  • World News

Copyright © 2025 NewsOne Nigeria