A Nigerian State has declared a 24-Hour curfew over a bloodbath.
Newsone reports that the Plateau State Government has announced a 24-hour curfew in Mangu Local Government Area of the northern state, following recent attacks in the area.
This online news platform understands that the Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, gave the directive in a statement issued by his spokesman, Gyang Bere, on Sunday in Jos.
The governor earlier, during a Church service at Church of the Brethren in Nigeria, EYN, announced that 11 persons had been buried in the early hours of the morning, following Saturday night, July 8, 2023, attacks in Sabon Gari community in the local government.
This is in addition to a series of attacks in the local government and in Riyom Local Government where more than 100 people had been reported killed, farmlands and property destroyed, and villages displaced.
According to the statement, the directive by the governor is geared toward restoring law and order and was a sequel to its consultation with the State Security Council.
”Consequently, movements within the Local Government have been banned until further notice except for security personnel and persons on essential duties.
”Security agencies have therefore been directed to ensure total enforcement of the curfew.”
Meanwhile, Newsone Nigeria reports that the Commander of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), Maj.-Gen. Abdusalam Abubakar said he has temporarily relocated the headquarters of the operation to Mangu Local Government Area (LGA).
OPSH is a Special Military Task Force, maintaining peace in Plateau and environs.
Abubakar, who doubles as the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 3 Division of the Nigerian Army, Rukuba, moved to the area barely 24 hours after he assumed command.
The decision followed a Saturday night attack on the Sabon Gari community of Mangu LGA, where 12 persons were killed and six houses completely razed down.
According to the commander, the move would enable him to work in synergy with the local authority to mitigate the situation.
“’I have relocated the headquarters of OPSH here so we can work with the local authority.
“We will stay here until we stabilise the situation
“The governor is disturbed with the happenings, and that is why I am personally here to lead my troops.
“We won’t allow the situation to deteriorate further. We are not here to joke; and so we will be decisive, fair, and firm,” Abubakar said.