President Muhammadu Buhari led Federal Government has finally reacted to the recent Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians residing in South Africa.
YaahooJournalist reports that properties including cars belonging to Nigerians in the country were set ablaze by South Africans in the wake of the Xenophobic attacks.
In a viral video, South Africans also looted shops belonging to Nigerians. No fewer than three persons were reportedly killed.
The President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo, had said that recent attacks began on Sunday morning, September 1, in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg, the South African capital.
In a statement on Monday, September 2, Olubajo said the mob “looted several shops that were around the vicinity suspected to be owned by foreign nationals.”
Reacting to the Xenophobic attacks, the Nigerian government said the ugly development was unacceptable and that President Buhari will meet with the South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa, in October over the rising attacks.
President Buhari government reacted to the Xenophobic attacks in a series of tweets on the micro-blogging site on Tuesday, September 3.
The tweets said: “The continuing attacks on Nigerian nationals and businesses in South Africa are unacceptable.
“Enough is enough. Nigeria will take definitive measures to ensure safety and protection of her citizens.
“Last week Pres @MBuhari met with Pres @CyrilRamaphosa
, on sidelines of #TICAD7, in Japan, to discuss this. Further discussions scheduled for October 2019, during Pres Buhari’s official visit to SA. In the meantime, Nigeria will take further steps to ensure safety of citizens in SA.”